Allergies or Intolerances - What are the symptoms? Part ll
If you suffer from a food allergy, you could have itching, hives, swelling of the throat, eyes or tongue, nausea, vomiting or even diarrhea.
In the worst case scenario, you could have a drop in blood pressure. dizziness, fainting and cardiac arrest. An anaphylactic reaction can progress rapidly and be fatal.
Potentially, any food could cause an allergy. However, the most severe food allergies are commonly caused by just a few foods: namely, milk, eggs, fish, crustaceans, peanuts, soybeans, tree nuts and wheat. A person may develop an allergy at any age. Studies show that genetics play an important role, and a child is more likely to develop an allergy if one or both of his parents have allergies. It is not uncommon for children to grow out of allergies.
Symptoms of food intolerance are generally less alarming than those of extreme allergic reactions. Food intolerance may cause stomach pain, bloating, gas, cramps, headaches, skin rash, tiredness or a general feeling of malaise. An intolerance may be related to a variety of foods - dairy, wheat, gluten, alcohol, smoke from cigarette or vape and yeast are among the most common.
Diagnosis & Treatment
If you think you may suffer from a food allergy or a food intolerance, you may decide to get checked by a specialized health professional. Self-diagnosis and autonomously deciding to eliminate certain foods can at times be harmful, as you may inadvertently deprive your body of necessary nutrients.
If you have a milder food allergy of food intolerance, you may see some benefit in reducing how often you eat certain food and the amount. In some cases, however, sufferers may compelled to avoid certain food altogether, or at least for some time, depending on the singular case.
It is often recommended that sufferers of severe allergies carry a special pen containing adrenaline (epinephrine) that can be self-injected in case of an emergency. Some health professionals suggest that children with allergies carry or wear some visible indication that can warn teachers or caregivers of their condition.